I was asked to set ministry goals for this year; which I thought was a great idea. One of my goals was to read at least 12 books this year. I will make it and just wanted to let you know what I have read so far.
- Can We Do That? by Andy Stanley and Ed Young Jr.
- Hurt by Chap Clark
- Engaging the Soul of Youth Culture by Walt Mueller
- Creating Community by Andy Stanley
- Every Young Man’s Battle by Stephen Arterburn and Fred Stoeker
- The Cost of Discipleship by Dietreich Bonhoeffer
- The Present Future by Reggie McNeal
- The Roots of Endurance by John Piper
I am trying to read a lot of different things. All of these books served a purpose and were beneficial in one way or another. Hurt, Engaging the Soul of Youth Culture, and Every Young Man’s Battle were read because they relate to Student Ministry. If you are involved in ministring to students I would highly recommend them. I would also recommend Walt Mueller’s site and blog, just click on the book, it is linked.
The Roots of Endurance is the book I am currently reading right now. It is a great encouragement to me. Piper shares short biographies on John Newton, Charles Simeon, and William Wilberforce. Simeon had incredible perserverance in ministry. It is said that for the first twelve years of his pastorate, the church members hated him so much they locked their pews so people had to sit in the aisles. And this went on for twelve years. Talk about not giving up.
I look forward to reading and learning even more. Pick up a book and read.